Monday, April 11, 2011

Exercise

I try to switch up my exercise each day so I am not always doing the same thing. Currently I am doing a few different workouts.

C25K
So far I am really enjoying this program. For those of you not familiar with it, the goal is to get you from sitting on the couch to running a 5K in 9 weeks. You do a 5 minute warm up walk and then 20 minute walking/running intervals 3 days a week. Each week the amount of time running is increased. Before starting this program I never ran in my life, so this is a pretty big step for me. I have started and quit this program multiple times, never getting past week one. 

Week one was one minute running intervals and 90 second walking intervals. I am currently on week two and have done two out of the three days! Week two consists of 90 second running intervals and two minute walking intervals for 20 minutes. I have short legs for my height so I cannot run as fast as most people, but right now my goal is just to be able to run without stopping and I will work on speed later. Currently I am walking at 2.8mph and running at 4.1 mph. This might not seem very fast but it is definitely a struggle for me!

Week 3 consists of running for 90 seconds, walking for 90 seconds, running for 3 minutes, walking for 3 minutes, and then repeat the whole thing. I am nervous about running for 3 minutes straight!

Biggest Loser
The other workout I am doing is the Biggest Loser Workout. It is a dvd that I have had for years and never used until my husband broke it out a few weeks ago. The dvd I have is the original. It has cast members from season 1 and 2 and Bob Harper leads the whole workout. There are 4 different segments: Low Impact Cardio, Strength, High Impact Cardio, and Bootcamp which is weights and cardio combined. I have done all the segments except the High Impact, I only made it through the first half without stopping. This is not the most challenging workout but it does get my heart rate up since I am so out of shape. I alternate between the workouts every few days.

Walking
I am also doing plain old walking on the treadmill. I try to do a 3.0-3.2 pace, which is a pretty good pace for my short legs and does get my heart rate up a bit. I also pump my arms rather than hold on to get the most out of it. We also have been walking our dog outside more now that it has warmed up some, but she doesn't really let us keep a good pace so I try to make sure to get more exercise than just that.

The Firm: Max Cardio
This is another old dvd I have that I love. I used this all the time in high school when I was much thinner. It is extremely intense for my current fitness level and I only have done it once a week or two. I am hoping once I get in better shape I can do more because I really love this workout.

30 Day Shred
I haven't started this one yet but plan to soon, maybe even tonight! I have done it in the past, but have never gone past the first level. Hopefully this time I stick with it!

With all these different types of workouts I am hoping my body won't get used to any one thing. I also plan to add it using the elliptical once in a while too.

No comments:

Post a Comment